Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Love for Korean Cuisine


I will always have an affair with Korean Cuisine. Call me lame, but the first time I've tried a REAL Korean dish was way back January 2010. It is not in Korea though, but hey, the restaurant is a legit one.


The restaurant is called Goltong Ne Bbq & Grill in Subic, Olongapo City. It was just an after-sunday-service usual bonding with my siblings. After our Tree Top Adventure we decided to stroll along the Subic Boardwalk (I am not sure if they still call it Boardwalk.Hehe) Tired of eating the usual, we got curious and decided to try the Korean Resto beside Pier One.


It became my favorite. Every chance we get, Jaypee and I will always dine here after grocery shopping in Royal. If he is not available because of work, I'll bug my friends to help me satisfy my cravings.




When Jaypee and I visited Hongkong last 2011, her mom treated us in Han-Yang Won Korean Restaurant in Tsim Sha Tsui.


Not only that it is an eat-all-you-can buffet and has a super wide variety of choices, their green tea ice cream is simply the best!


The last time I ate in a Korean Resto was on the same place, last year 2012 with my parents when we went to Hongkong after New Years and before we left for Jeddah.

I've been staying here in Jeddah for a straight 14 months, the longest I've ever been here. I think almost every month, I crave for Korean dish. But knowing that there is no Korean Resto here, I finally gave up.

A couple of months ago, a family friend of ours mentioned a Korean Restaurant located near their former house. I asked if it is a buffet, she said she's not sure. Thinking that it may cost me or us a lot, I didn't bother asking for the details about it.

Few days ago, my cravings came back. Yes, my cravings are weird don't ask me why. And since I've spent the whole day wishing I can eat Bibimbap or bulgogi or simply kimchi, I asked Ate Jennifer (our friend) about the Korean she told me few months ago.

Unfortunately, she doesn't remember the exact location. Since the Koreana Restaurant is a villa-turned-into-restaurant, I have to research the instructions on how to get there or else we will spend 2 hours driving which will definitely piss off my dad.

According to google, it is located in Al Hamra District. We have to find the Bin Ladin Hospital, near the Hamada Supermarket. When we are on our way there, Tito Bong, our housemate called the restaurant to ask for specific directions. An Indian answered the phone, but since he can't instruct their location in a way we can possibly understand, he handed the phone to their Filipino Chef. (I just forgot his name, but I think it is Florentin, or something like that)

The location is pretty tricky, but if you are familiar with Iranian Consulate, Bin Ladin / Al Hamra Hospital and Hamada Supermarket, then it is just a piece of cake.


We took the Al Andalus Road (or Maliq Road to others), then my dad look for the Iranian Consulate. From there, just go straight then you will pass by Bin Ladin / Al Hamra Hospital. I think, if I am not mistaken, the Hamada Supermarket is just across it, left side. Just continue driving until you find the corner street with House of Donut. Turn right on the street and continue driving for 4 more blocks. Then turn left, and look for this gate or villa.


The Koreana Restaurant used to have a sign board, almost hidden behind the tree. But due to the recent happenings here in Jeddah, they decided to take it down.

Upon entering, you will see a small clear shelf containing of Korean items such as different types of soy sauce, noodles, seaweeds and instant noodles.



It is pretty small, I think they only have less than 20 tables. But the place is clean, so it is a thumbs up for us.

Here are the foods that we ordered.

Galbi Tang sr40

Kimchi sr5. I'll give it a 5 star coz it is really good. Not too spicy for my taste.

Bibimbap sr35. This one, i'll give 3/5. Maybe because I've tasted better bibimbap before?

Radish Kimchi - Free :) I wasn't able to taste it, Hehe

Freeeeeebie from the Filipino Chef! :) Given that it is free, I'll say it is a 5/5!

Bulgogi, complete with side dish and lettuce! Ah,, This one is a no-brainer. I'll give it a Perfect Star! I love that it is not too salty. It complements the kimchi very well :)

Chicken in garlic sauce. I don't like the breading so I'll give it a 3!

Sapche. 4/5,, nothing special. but it is good ;)
Sweetest Melon!!

For 8 adults and 2 kids, our bill was SR425. I say, it is not bad. We really enjoyed the food. I was satisfied specially with their Kimchi and their Bulgogi.

Every Thursday and Friday, the offer an eat-you-can buffet for sr90. Since it was Monday when we went there, we didn't have a chance to see nor experience it. Maybe I'll just wait for Jaypee to come here in Jeddah so we can try it, because I know my parents would rather pay per-entre or per-order than a buffet.


That is the business card given to us by the waiter, we didn't have the chance to meet Mr. Kim. Just give them a call in case you have a hard time finding their location.

I hope you enjoy my post! Now I want some Pizza :(

No comments:

Post a Comment