Sunday, October 14, 2012

Is it worthit?

Letting go is one of the hardest lessons in life. There are many things that we have to learn to let go. We have to let go of situations, things, memories, people and even ourselves. It is not easy to let go of something that you have for a long period of time. How would you feel if you lost your security blanket? Or your most favorite shoes that you treasured it so much you don't want to use it. Some things can be replaced, and it will take time for us to cope up with that change. But, what if it is a friend?
They say, "A friendship that can end never really began." In my opinion, we must not give up to the people who are worthy to fight for. Specially for those who we treated more like a family than a friend. How do you say that a friendship is over? If your friend hurt your feelings, would you rather give them up than to forgive?

 Friends form an integral part of our life and losing them can affect us in one way or the other. How would you know if it is time for you to give up to your friendship? I list down some signs of a broken friendship according to our Mr.know-it-all friend. (read:Google)
An Act of Betrayal
  • If a friend has betrayed you, it may be hard for you to look at the relationship the same as you did before. A friend is someone you should be able to trust; it's likely you will put a wall up and act differently around this person, now that you feel disrespected and betrayed. This may cause a broken friendship and it may be best for you to take a break from the relationship. Whether or not the break is permanent depends on what lies in the future.
Loss of Common Interests
  • A broken friendship can also be caused by the simple fact that the relationship is drifting apart due to a loss of common interests. A friendship may initially occur due to crossing paths and finding commonalities that bring you together. However, people change and take different paths throughout life, and sometimes those paths are too diverse to continue on with a relationship.
Finding Closure
  • When noticing signs of a broken friendship, it's helpful to talk about it with your companion and help bring peace to the relationship, ending it on a good note. Let the person know how you are feeling and what may have caused the friendship to end. This will help you to find closure and move on.
Growing From the Experience
  • Rather than focusing on the loss, try to think of all you have gained from the friendship. Even if it ended due to betrayal, remember that you have learned something from the experience. When a person chooses to focus on the positives, she can grow and become wiser from all she has been through.
Starting Over
  • If, down the road, you want to rekindle a broken friendship, simply call the person on the phone and ask her out for coffee. Take it one step at a time and see where it goes. Don't have overly high expectations; what's meant to be will be.

Before I wrote this post, my decision was conclusive. But then I realized, what if that person gave up on you? Or worse, doesn't want anything to do with you, what should you do? Would you still hold on to them? If it was easy for them to give up, then why don't do the same thing?
Some friendships, no matter how hard we try, they will never recover the joy they once had. But if you feel the pain of regret or remorse when you think about a lost friend and do nothing about it, you will never know what might have been.
I've experienced letting go of someone who is not only close to me, but very special to me. Even if I don't want to, I have no choice but to accept the fact the our friendship is over. Whenever I think of the times (good and bad) that we have shared together, I always wonder "What happened?" It really made me sad, and hoped that I will never experience it again.
Now, there are people who are very important to me having the same situation. I have seen their friendship grow and became strong. They have experienced many difficulties in their lives and they've surpassed all of them together. But as all friendships, there will come to a point that they will hurt each others feelings and decide to just let go of everything. I asked myself, should I let them throw all the things they have? Or should I do nothing? For the past couple of days ,I 've been trying to fix things for them. But now, I am decided to just let it go, respect their decision and move on. Sure it wasn't easy. These people are very close to me that whenever I think of the future, I will envision it with them. Do I really value the friendship or I am just scared to lose another people and regret it afterwards? I do value the friendship, as for me, it is one of the best friendship i've ever have and ever seen. And yes, I am scared to lose them and regret that I didn't do anything to save it. I am really confused. So I prayed. After praying and reading some devotional books, I've learned that things change, people change and it doesn't mean you forget the past or try to cover it up. It simply means you move on and treasure the memories. Letting go doesn't mean giving up, it means accepting that some things weren't meant to be.
I am not closing my doors. I am not expecting either. But I believe that what they have, what we have is real. It is wrong for me to think that maybe their friendship isn't a real one. I know it is. Maybe it is a test to all of us, on how we should handle things in a mature way. I know God has a purpose on why this has had to happen. And I trust Him. Maybe we just need some space and time. After all, time heal all wounds, right?

It may pinch a little, but I'll just be grateful that I am blessed to have met someone like them.


Love, A.

No comments:

Post a Comment